ABOUT coming to counselling…
First appointments are a great opportunity to make an assessment of your situation together. We aim to create a strong working relationship so that you can take the best out of the counselling experience and so that you can help to decide on the direction of the work. Goals for counselling are reviewed over time and there may be changes in the focus of the work.
Judging how many appointments to attend is different for everyone. For the process to be effective a minimum of 4-6 appointments is recommended and fits with best practice. Frequency and the number of appointments is worked out with your counsellor in consultation with you to learn how you are progressing in line with your goals. You can start with weekly appointments and then stretch out the distance between appointments based on your needs.
This is a confidential setting which prioritises the meaning that you give to what is occurring for you rather than assuming that the counsellor knows what is best. There is no one approach to fit everyone so we spend time customising a way that will suit you to move into greater clarity and hopefulness initially aiming at symptom or stress relief whilst working on enhancing your wellbeing.
People who attend counselling come for various reasons. You may find some of your aims fit with any of the following:
• To offload stressful experiences and to de-brief from certain traumatic events.
• To try to make sense of complicated experiences sharing the insights of your counsellor.
• To be carefully listened to and to be asked clarifying questions to help you to sort out complicated situations you are facing and your possible actions.
• To increase self awareness by more fully exploring your relationships with others and learning about your mental health, hopes and dreams.
• To gain some ideas, tips and education about solution ideas to take away and to try.
A range of evidence based counselling approaches are utilised with any selected approaches explained to you before proceeding.
HOW ART THERAPY COUNSELLING WORKS [PDF DOWNLOADABLE]